France football have taken new decision on Ballon d'Or 2020 as they confirmed the award won't hold this year.
Lionel Messi and Rapinoe (as well as De Ligt and Alisson, winners of the Kopa and Yachine Trophies) will have to hold on to their crowns up until 2021The Football media outlet released an official statement on their website to announce why the award will not hold this year.
"There will be no France Football Ballon d'Or in 2020. In exceptional circumstances, exceptional provisions," France Football stated on their website.
"For the first time in its history, which began in 1956, the Ballon d'Or France Football will not be awarded in 2020, for lack of sufficient fair conditions. Explanations.
Here are the reasons stated by France Football on their decision to postpone the award;
• Because such a singular year cannot - and should not - be treated as an ordinary year. When in doubt, it is better to abstain than to persist.
• Because the Ballon d'Or trophy conveys values other - like exemplarity, solidarity and responsibility - than sporting excellence alone.
• Because the fairness that prevails for this honorary title could not be preserved, in particular at the statistical level and also in the preparation since all the aspirants to the award could not be housed in the same boat, some having seen their season cut radically , others not. So how do you compare the incomparable?
• Because we did not want to put an indelible asterisk on the prize list like “trophy won in exceptional circumstances due to the Covid-19 health crisis” . We will always prefer a small sprain (to our history) to a large scar. This is the first time since 1956 that the Ballon d'Or has taken a break. The parenthesis does not enchant us but seems to us the most responsible and logical. Protecting the credibility and legitimacy of such an award also means ensuring its flawlessness over time.
• Because only two months (January and February), out of the eleven generally required to form an opinion and decide between the best (s), it is far too little to gauge and judge, given that the other matches have taken place. then - or will take place - then in other conditions and formats (in camera, five replacements, European Final 8 in a single match) too far from the usual panorama. We cannot bring ourselves to rely on crippled seasons, with so many special arrangements, to elect the best. The best of what, by the way? It would not be worthy of our history.
• Because of our approximately 220 jurors (men and women combined) distributed around the world, some may have been distracted or diverted from their observation mission due to other priorities and emergencies to manage.
• Because the BO story is too precious to take the risk of damaging it with a wobbly exercise. In these turbulent times, taking a break is a luxury and an invaluable necessity. So that football, as a whole, regains momentum and momentum, passion and emotion. Strongly that the balloon gilds ...