Neymar has hit out at former club Barcelona's directors and says the Spanish club 'deserve better'. The Brazilian superstar made the comments in the wake of an impressive home debut for his new side PSG, scoring twice in a 6-2 defeat of Toulouse. The 25-year left Barca for the French capital earlier this month for a world record fee of £198m, even though he signed a contract extension with Barca last year.
After Sunday's PSG win, Neymar suggested that discontent with the board was one of the reasons for his departure. "I don't have anything to say to the Barcelona board," said Neymar. "Well, actually I have something to say. That I am disappointed with them.
"I spent four years there and was very happy. I began happy, spent four years happy and left happy. But not with them. "For me, they shouldn't be in charge of Barca. Barca deserve much better, and everyone knows this. "Barcelona were comfortably beaten by Real Madrid in the Spanish Super Cup last week and Neymar was asked if his friends at the club had said new signings were needed.
"I can't tell you about this because I am at another team now," he said.
"I don't know what's going on there on a day to day basis, but seeing my former team-mates sad also makes me sad, because I have many friends there.
"I hope things get better for Barca, that they can come back to become Barca again."
Neymar has scored three times and provided three assists in his first two matches for PSG but was modest when questioned about his impressive start.
"It has not been easy," he said. "It's what I have said before, my football remains the same, the same as I was doing at Barcelona.
"I am still adapting myself to the team, getting game rhythm, feeling that I need to improve. But I am happy with what I have accomplished so far."
AC Milan and Inter Milan, both determined to put last season's mediocre efforts behind them, made flying starts to the new campaign on Sunday with easy 3-0 wins.AC Milan fielded seven new signings in their starting line-up as they won at Crotone, scoring all their goals in the opening half-hour after being helped by a fourth-minute sending- off for the home team.Mauro Icardi scored twice in the first 15 minutes to lead Inter to a win at home to Fiorentina and give the visitors' new coach Stefano Pioli, fired by Inter last season, an unhappy return to San Siro.AS Roma's new signing Aleksandar Kolarov scored with a crafty free kick which he rolled under the wall to give last season's runners-up a 1-0 win at Atalanta.Valter Birsa scored with a spectacular dipping shot from 25 metres as Chievo won 2-1 at Udinese and Sampdoria beat Serie A debutants Benevento 2-1 with two goals from former Juventus, Napoli and Italy forward Fabio Quagliarella.SPAL, another of the promoted teams, managed to hold out for a goalless draw at Lazio, who were fourth last season.Milan spent 190 million euros ($223.40 million) on new signings in the close season in an attempt to end several seasons of midtable mediocrity.They quickly took control when Crotone's Federico Ceccherini brought down Patrick Cutrone and was sent off in the fourth minute after the referee consulted the VAR.Ivorian midfielder Franck Kessie, making his debut on loan from Atalanta, converted the penalty.The inspired Cutrone, 19, who turned professional with Milan last season, headed the second goal in the 18th minute and set up the third for Suso to drive in from 12 metres five minutes later.Inter's new coach Luciano Spalletti saw his team quickly take control against a shell-shocked Fiorentina.Inter captain Icardi was bundled over by Davide Astori and converted the penalty himself in the sixth minute, then beat two Fiorentina defenders to Ivan Perisic's cross to head the second goal on the quarter hour.Fiorentina's new striker Giovanni Simeone gave Inter's defence some difficult moments and had a penalty appeal turned down after the referee consulted the VAR.But the hosts completed their win with 11 minutes left when Perisic met Joao Mario's cross with a diving header after more sloppy marking from Fiorentina.
For all the talk of crisis at Stamford Bridge following last week's meltdown against Burnley, Chelsea manager Antonio Conte was left saluting his side on Sunday after they edged Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 in a match they could just as easily have lost."I think I must be pleased," said Conte, whose nine-man side were beaten 3-2 by Burnley in their opening match of the new Premier League season."I want to thank my players because they showed me great desire and heart and I saw today the fighters."The Italian was particularly pleased because the champions were without the suspended Cesc Fabregas and Gary Cahill, giving Tiemoue Bakayoko his debut and trusting Andreas Christensen at the heart of their defence.But it was a couple of old hands in David Luiz and Marcos Alonso who stood out.The Brazilian was pushed forward into midfield and had a hand in both goals. Chelsea made the breakthrough against the run of play on 23 minutes when Alonso thumped home a superb free kick from 20 metres after Dele Alli had fouled Luiz.But Luiz also stood strong when Spurs threatened to overrun Chelsea with the quickfire passing that served them so well last season."David played very well, it was an amazing performance from him," said Conte."He played with great experience and personality, a point of reference for other players. But it is easy to forget we had four new players from last season and we played like we wanted to show we were champions."Conte again said the club were working towards strengthening the squad in the transfer window, with at least three arrivals expected."For us it is very important to be focused on ourself. We know a lot of teams have improved since last season," he said."The club is trying to do its best in the transfer market but today I must be satisfied with my players because they gave me everything."
Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde dedicated his team's 2-0 La Liga victory over Real Betis to the victims of Spain's terrorist attacks.
On an emotional night at the Nou Camp, both clubs paid tribute to those caught up in the atrocities in the city and at Cambrils before the game, and the Barca players wore the city's name, rather then their own, on the backs of their shirts.
Speaking afterwards, Valverde told a press conference: "We have to keep going with a sense of normality. We wanted to win the game for all the victims of the attack."
Betis defender Alin Tosca's own goal and a second from Sergio Roberto inside three first-half minutes secured the points for the home side, who might have won far more comfortably despite Neymar's departure and the absence of Gerard Pique and Luis Suarez through injury.
As is the case with any Arsenal defeat at the moment, the reaction has been sizable and former Liverpool icon Steven Gerrard labeled Mesut Ozil as a liability to Arsenal.The Gunners slipped to a 1-0 loss away to Stoke City on Saturday with the German midfielder unable to help his team pick the lock of a very tightly packed home defence.Gerrard suggested that Arsenal were effectively playing with 10 men when not in possession thanks to Ozil's inactivity."World class players do everything, when they lose the ball they help their teammates and it's clear that is something he does not do, out of possession they are a man down and away from home he is a liability," he explained on BT Sport.This was a sharp contrast to the 37-year-old's comments on the German international last season when the former England captain suggested that the midfielder would be a player he would loved to have worked with."He is the type of player I would have liked to have played with during my career, he gives a lot of assists and I love his unselfishness," he had previously said.